5 Heart-Healthy Benefits of Hawthorn Berries for Pets
Unlock the secret to your pet's heart health with hawthorn berries, nature's powerful cardiotonic. Boost circulation, regulate blood pressure, and prevent heart damage – all in a tasty treat! Explore the 5 essential benefits for your furry friend's optimal wellbeing.
Great things come in small packages, and this certainly rings true when it comes to the hawthorn berry.
The bite-sized fruit packs a punch when it comes to improving the cardiovascular health of both people and animals, and it has been utilized to treat heart diseases, improve digestion, and lower cholesterol levels for many years.
If you’re considering adding this tiny yet mighty berry to your fur baby’s heart health plan, I highly recommend it for several reasons. Here are the most notable benefits of using hawthorn berries for pets and the best ways to offer them to your four-legged friends.
What is a Hawthorn Berry?
The hawthorn berry is a nutrient-rich fruit native to North America, Europe, and Asia. It’s known for its mild sweetness, tangy flavor, and a wide variety of health benefits including:
- Loads of antioxidants
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Ability to lower blood pressure
- The capability of normalizing blood cholesterol levels
- Anti-aging properties
The red pigment that gives hawthorn berries their vibrant color contains a plant chemical known as a flavonoid, a rich antioxidant that helps regulate cellular activity and improve organ function, especially for the heart. This compound is credited for its tonic effect on smooth muscles, which is why some sources have been coined as “cardiotonics” in the medical field.
Flavonoids are present in many fruits and vegetables, but hawthorn berries are the most abundant natural source.
It was a staple of traditional Chinese medicine for centuries and still plays an integral role in the culture’s holistic form of healthcare. The hawthorn berry has also proven itself to be an invaluable remedy for animals with heart complications, and it’s endorsed by many veterinarians, including myself.
It’s an all-around versatile and well-respected medicine, and one not to be overlooked if you’re searching for a more natural solution for your pet’s heart ailments.
5 Benefits of Using Hawthorn Berry for Pets
Cardiac support is very important for both dogs and cats, and the hawthorn berry is a great remedy and preventative for a variety of heart diseases. Here’s how your pet and their precious tickers can benefit from the cardiotonic
- Helps Prevent Heart Damage
Hawthorn berries help improve heart muscle function, making them a godsend for physically active animals. Working dogs such as sled dogs, agility dogs, and bird dogs can greatly benefit from a daily dose of hawthorn berry.
- Increases Blood Circulation
The hawthorn berry dilates and relaxes blood vessels, improving blood circulation and the transport of oxygen and nutrients throughout the body.
- Steadies the Heartbeat
If your pet suffers from a weak heart or irregular heartbeat, also known as arrhythmias, hawthorn berries can help normalize and strengthen the pulse. This can also prevent congestive heart failure.
- Regulates Blood Pressure
Scientists and herbalists have been unable to identify why the hawthorn berry has this nearly miraculous effect, but many studies have shown that it can raise low blood pressure and lower high blood pressure.
- Helps Heal Heartworm Damage
Although hawthorn berries aren’t recommended as a form of heartworm treatment, they can serve as a great post-heartworm remedy since they help strengthen and clean the heart. They’re also used for pets that have endured a viral bacterial infection or chemotherapy.
The Best Ways to Give Hawthorn Berry to Your Pets
There are many easy ways to offer hawthorn berries to your dog or cat. The best part? The berry’s naturally sweet taste makes it a delicious treat, so your pet won’t even know it’s medicine!
Here are the best ways to give your companion their daily dose of hawthorn berries:
- Straight from the source: You may not find hawthorn berries in your local grocery store, but if you have a small hawthorn tree or shrub growing nearby, you can pluck them directly from the plant and give them to your pet.
- Powder: If you have fresh hawthorn berries, you can easily turn them into powder by drying and grinding them. Administer the powder by sprinkling it into your pet’s food. Hawthorn powder can also be purchased from many retailers.
- Tincture: If your pet prefers to take medications in liquid form, a tincture may be the way to go! It’s best to choose a formula made with glycerin instead of alcohol for your animals.
- Tea: The leaves, bark, or berries of the hawthorn make a wonderful tea that both you and your pets can enjoy! Try pouring it into their food to add a special touch to their meal.
- Supplements: This is a very easy way to add hawthorn berries to your pet’s daily diet. Fera Pet Organics’ Cardiac Support salmon-flavored capsules are formulated for both cats and dogs and will promote a healthy heart with ingredients like organic hawthorn berry and taurine.
The use of hawthorn berries for pets is considered very safe, and it has a very low risk of side effects. However, if your pet is currently on heart medication, consult with your veterinarian about any possible interactions.
The doctor will be able to answer your questions and recommend an adequate dosage for your furry friend.
Support Your Pet’s Health With All-Natural Ingredients
Discover the secret to optimized pet health with Dr. Michelle Dulake, a seasoned veterinarian. Harness cutting-edge knowledge to unlock your pet's potential for longevity and happiness. Experience the difference that expert guidance can bring to your pet's life today!
Most pet supplements are high in fillers and low in active ingredients, but I believe in letting nature support our pet’s body systems. That’s why I created custom-formulated supplements that are 100% vegan and made with only the purest active ingredients like organic hawthorn berries, turmeric, and lions mane.
We have nothing to hide because your pet deserves the best!